Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Smelly TOFU and Pasar Malam (night market)

Smelly TOFU and Pasar Malam (night market)


After the Dental sojourn many evenings ago…..We drop by at the pasar malam (night market) to have our supper and to get new clothes (myself) for the Chinese New Year.


We had fried noodles…soup noodles….curry noodles…and it was satisfyingly good.


That evening…...I decided to be adventurous …for no apparent reason..I decided to try out the ‘Chow Tofu’..(Smelly Tofu) a la carte…….it has been bordering me for years….. The aroma stench like sewage…and true to its slogan “AROMA ACROSS A THOUSAND MILES”.


The queue was long….we waited for our turn….bought 4 pieces for each one of us

…..Sam went first…shook her head in delight…then it was my turn…I have already turned green from the regurgitation…there was no way out….BRAVED myself…closed my eyes…SAM fed a piece to my mouth…..I chewed the crunchy texture..and ..BY GOSH…it was the best TOFU I have ever tasted.

Then it was my children’s turn…..they then wanted more..but the queue was too long………..decided to come back for more another time.


Believe me you….it is worth a try…even if it is for the NOVELTY of having the guts to have tasted the smelliest dish…… the infamous “SMELLY TOFU”……just don’t burp!..


If need to…..wind down the car window.


Come smell >>> talkthreetalkfour.blogspot.com

3 comments:

snowroses said...

Oh, I thought "smelly tofu" was the preserved tofu sold in little jars. Didn't know I got it wrong.

7578 said...

Smelly tofu ah... I haven't tried also, will do ONE DAY. People say can get addicted ooo...
I don't know where to get it in KL thou... where's this pasar malam?

Anonymous said...

Hi Robert,

A very well-written text!

The photos, the descriptions of smell and taste create a great atmosphere. I can imagine how that meal must have been. Smelly tofu! :)