Sunday, August 10, 2008

Karaoke..My Way.

Karaoke..My Way.

Just next to Bobbit’s coconut stall is the “fried noodle” stall with a different..

..It’s a Karaoke noodle stall…only one in the Universe…..I’m quite sure.

The proprietor (seen seated ) is a jolly fella with a big mouth to boast…

….claimed that when he was younger..he was the first ice-cream seller on the go with music machine mounted on his tricycle…and now he is the owner of the only “Open Air Fried Noodle cum Karaoke stall” in Malaysia.

He told me that his fried flat rice noodle (Chau Kwai Tew) is the best of the area….seriously, I believe him…having eaten out so many years…and seeing his ingredients and his pan-fried skill..I have no doubt whatsoever.

His stall will be jammed pack in the evening.

He asked me to order a plate..I declined mainly because I just had coconut and was feeling quite full but promise him I shall the next time round.

All his patrons will be allowed to sing for free and those non-eating customers would have to pay fifty cent per song.

The Enterprising fella….asked me to sing…to which I decline because I don’t know how to sing Chinese…

[No problem…I got …Flank Sinata….My Wai ..(Frank Sinatra’s My Way)..

…fifty cents only lah!!!.. very cheap!!]

I recollect the time when Karaoke was at its height…My Way was the most butchered song…everybody who thinks he is somebody or anybody at all would sing “My Way”. They would sing with full emotion of their arrival to this point…some with tears….we would laugh our heads off discreetly (my friends and I).

One night, after a few Margaritas…Tom Collins…Bloody Mary….boost it up with AK-47…something took over me..I finally volunteered to sing after so many years…I sang “My Way”…not because I have anything to shout about but rather that’s the only song I have practice year in year out in the private of the bath. So, I sang…they cried discreetly.

Ronnie (my pit-bull) stood up to clap…and everybody followed like-wise.

We adjourned later to our regular joint to have our late night supper…all my boisterous friends, ten in all, were strangely quiet and subdued. I was the only person eating while the rest were just having tea (unusual for a bunch of gluttons). Nobody cracks jokes…nobody talk……everyone was looking somewhere.

After supper, we went separate ways…two cars…one sent me home. My mother was at the gate coincidentally…she open the gate..I got down from the car pissed-off walk towards the gate.

Suddenly, I heard a loud shrill from the car…the doors opened…they burst out hysterically…squatting on the road …holding one another…patting each other…faced red…choking …coughing….LAUGHING like Hyenas

Ronnie vomited….I walk back to check…and started laughing…Mother was laughing too……it was so contagious.

Walk back inside…leaving my mother outside with them laughing their heads off.

That was the last time we went to a Karaoke.

No comments: