Sunday, May 20, 2007

The Uglier Betty. (Maid)





















I went for a walk with Peter this evening…….pour my heart out about Betty- my maid.
It was a month ago when she came into our life to replace the former maid who had to return home after more than three years with us…..due the family obligations.

Three months before Uglier Betty arrival, the Malaysian and the Indonesian Government got into a sort of deadlock regarding the supplying of
Indonesian maids at an agreeable charges and so on…..Supplies dries up, pending further
negotiations.

The employment agency provided us with only three data’s….my wife choose the prettiest. As advised by the agency- that the new maid should never meet the old maid and there was a time lapse of two days before the former is to leave, we brought the maid to my mother’s house for the duration.

Mummy was shocked out of her pants and shriek… Why, you got no money to employ maid…..ah!
I said, “Ma, we paid an arm and leg for her.”
Ma asked, “Why so ugly.” She was the prettiest of the lot, I said.
When it was time to fetch her back, mother was very reluctant to release her….telling us specifically to be good to her. Strange…..very strange.

Our four dogs that normally bark ferociously at any stranger wagged their tails happily welcoming her with so much fanfares….Bewildered …….my wife and looked at each other in disbelief. After some ice breaking with the family she started doing her work. She did a fantastic job, the best job ever by any maid the last twenty years.

My children like her, my wife likes her and ………I, I can’t stand her….she is very slow….far too slow..!!! We started missing our breakfast because she was too slow in preparing……..having our lunch at 3 pm.…….dinner at 9 pm. And she finishes washing the laundries at 1.30 am. Either my wife or I have to wait to ensure all doors and windows are properly shut for the night. My God…...and we are using washing machine…..and we have to get up at 6 am. Everyday………deprived of sleep for more than a month. We have time and time again told her not to iron the underwear, towels .I am not complaining but it was totally unnecessary and a complete waste of time…she still does it her way, the ironing takes up at least 3hours- she does everything her way, sets her own timetable- she gives a very good job….the toilets exceptionally clean…. The floor squeaky so what am I ranting about…. She is a perfect maid.

She is also the stupid ….irritatingly stupid…..so many unspeakable moments…maybe it is miscommunication…… I don’t know. When I stopped the car parallel to the gate, the maid would rush out to open the gate, I have told her times and again that I came back to get something or to fetch the children; when I drove the car facing inward towards the gate, it would mean that I am coming home, she would just stare at me from the window……doing nothing.

The last straw was that very morning when I ate something very disagreeable – I rushed home ….pointing my car inwards toward the gate and honked….honk…..honk…she just stood there by the window….just looking. (Is she trying to be funny?) I wind down the window and shouted, “Stupid, open the gate.”
She rushed out……you wouldn’t want to know …phew! In the nick of time... Peter Geh told me that it was misunderstanding…..I guess he was right……be patient teach her with love and understanding…Peter…oh…Peter.

On the 13th. May, Mother’s Day, mother had a word……words with me regarding Betty, and knowing the person that I am, her son, She….lectures….makes sure that…..makes me promised…Yes Ma……..but Ma…..ok Ma….you don’t understand Ma………yes Ma…… no problem…..I promise….yes. yes…yes….sorry Ma….very tire….not enough sleep…….I’ll try….you are right.. But my blood pressure…..ok, it’s my fault….I have no patient…I promise to be patient Ma…..can I go now……no..ok..ok…ok yes Mummy.

I am prepared to adjust to her……Peter advised…. No, just give her time to adjust
Beauty lies in the eyes of beholder…Today, I found her to be sweet…. loving…What have I done or say……she is not so ugly……Times breed familiarity. Everybody likes her…….My mother loves her the way she first held me up when I was a baby.
We, my wife and I, will be getting another maid in nine months time, after the six month warranty and three month probation,……..a maid for my maid. Can you believe it?

P/S: She has an appetite of a horse. I love people to eat….the more the better.

No comments: